Tiamarth

Crescent 3.0 - The Minimalist, the Idealist, and the Maximalist. (Now without overwriting official skins!)

17 posts in this topic

TL;DR: Crescent's updated again. Three branches of the skin are available: Crescent, Arctic Blast, and Sub-Zero. Download(s) and preview(s) below.

Downloads:

Installation instructions:

1. Navigate to this directory: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Overwolf (open start menu, type %localappdata%, hit enter, open Overwolf folder)
  2. Create new folder. Name it "Skins."
  3. Open the zip package you downloaded.
  4. Drag the folder inside the zip into the Skins folder.
  5. Open your Overwolf settings dialogue.
  6. Open the Support menu.
  7. Click "Development Options."
  8. Click "Load unpacked extension..."
  9. Navigate to the skin you want to install, expand the folder.
  10. Select the version number.
  11. Press "OK."
  12. Load the skin from your Overwolf library.

Crescent 3.0: (gif / info)

It appears as though the gif didn't render entirely correctly, but the point is Crescent now turns white against dark backgrounds.

crescent.gif

The biggest problem that the original Crescent had was how incredibly difficult it was to see on top of dark backgrounds, as it just blended in. In this release, Crescent now changes its color depending on how dark or bright the screen is. The darker the screen is, the brighter the compact dock will be. The brighter the screen is, the darker the compact dock will be.

Crescent does not currently (and never will) have custom sounds, cursors, or FPS display.

All of this makes Crescent the ultimate Overwolf design for minimalism in gaming.

Crescent: Arctic Blast 2.03: (gif / info)

crescent-ab.gif

DockPreview.pngCursorsPreview.png

I wanted to update Crescent to take advantage of the new-ish feature that allows skins to use custom sounds. I had no idea what theme to use, as Crescent's theme is minimalism, and obviously a crescent moon. Then, a friend mentioned in conversation some days ago that he'd wished there was a blue "ice" skin available. I didn't initially take any inspiration from this, but later, in boredom, I had an idea. Now, I present you with Crescent 2.0 - the release I am calling "Arctic Blast."

Crescent: Sub-Zero 1.1: (gif / info)

crescent-sz.gif

DockPreview.pngCursorsPreview.png

While using my Arctic Blast skin, I came to realize the ice just vanishes for no reason. I decided that I'd add a fire-y sound effect and tint the animation a tad red in order to make it appear as though the ice melted away. However, I ended up not liking the way that looked, and instead added a bright shaft of light to the animation.

While drawing the new animation, I got bored and decided to re-design the entire file because I could. I ignored my instincts about keeping things clean, and stuck with the ice theme. I ended up with a much more frozen look than Arctic Blast offered, and so a new skin was born. Behold, Crescent: Sub-Zero.

All sound effects courtesy of SoundJay.com.

Here's a screenshot of all the skins loaded in the Overwolf appstore, because.

2015-05-20%2021-43-58.png

Changelog:

05/20/15

- updated file tree to work without overwriting official skins

Crescent 3.0

- updated skin to work with new Overwolf appstore

- fixed the scroll bar overlapping with the main window when dock is placed on right side of screen

- fixed the skin blending in with dark colours

Crescent: Sub-Zero 1.1

- release

05/19/15

- fixed the scroll bar overlapping with the main window when dock is placed on right side of screen

- added mouse cursors

- made mouse cursors pretty

05/18/15

- 2.0 release

02/06/15

- fixed the logo appearing to stack

02/05/15

- release

Archive:

Crescent 3.0 (Current version.)

Crescent: Arctic Blast 2.03 (Current version.)

Crescent: Sub-Zero 1.1 (Release of Sub-Zero. Current version.)

Crescent 2.03 (Before the release of Crescent 3.0 and Crescent: Sub-Zero.)

Crescent 2.02 (Before mouse cursors looked decent.)

Crescent 2.01 (Before mouse cursors.)

Crescent 2.0 (Before mouse cursors. Skin broken when dock is on right side of screen.)

Crescent 1.0 (First release. Before icy theme. Skin broken when dock is on right side of screen.)

(Any information left over in the OP from old versions of the thread have been omitted from archives to prevent redundancy. Images may have been removed to save space on server.)

Release of Arctic Blast:

TL;DR: Crescent's updated. New release is called Arctic Blast. Download below.

Download

Installation Instructions:

1. Install the "Tank-o-Mania" skin from the Overwolf appstore. (Optional: if you know where to find the skin files, install any skin and adjust the following instructions accordingly.)
  2. Navigate to this directory: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Overwolf\Extensions\jdianbeoipolgjjpmaemcapigeehbdkfpecljigf
  3. Delete any folders or files you see.
  4. Open the Crescent file you've downloaded.
  5. Drag the folder inside the zip into the folder you already have open. "jdianbeoipolgjjpmaemcapigeehbdkfpecljigf"
  6. I recommend you restart Overwolf.
  7. Load the skin from your Skins menu in the Overwolf appstore

I wanted to update Crescent to take advantage of the new-ish feature that allows skins to use custom sounds. I had no idea what theme to use, as Crescent's theme is minimalism, and obviously a crescent moon. Then, a friend mentioned in conversation some days ago that he'd wished there was a blue "ice" skin available. I didn't initially take any inspiration from this, but later, in boredom, I had an idea. Now, I present you with Crescent 2.0 - the release I am calling "Arctic Blast."

First OP:

This skin was designed with the intent to free up screen space and to be less intrusive to whatever game is being played. Inspired by FloydHunter's Darkwolf, I present you with Crescent.

Screenshots:

Compact:

Normal:

Expanded:

Download

Edited by Tiamarth
Shadow0X3 likes this

This looks cool! I'm gonna check it out in a few! :D

Edit:

I wanna leave a little tip I found useful for my zip files: It's easier to drag and drop the skin into Overwolf if everything is in one folder in the zip file. I usually just put a blank folder in the zip(with the name of the skin) first, then toss all the skin's stuff into that.

Makes it easier for others to install with just drag and dropping - as well as yourself if you screw something up on your end and need to back up. I know this to be true as I needed to back up the original Darkwolf skin since I heavily modified the original with the second version and I'm glad I did this in the first place.

Hope this helps. I know its not a big issue to make a folder for it, but for convenience sake I thought I'd add my two cents. :)

Edit 2: Wow! I can't even see it on my desktop(I have a dark theme going on lol)! Logged into Guild Wars 2 and I think it might work out pretty good there. There's a lot of light backgrounds in GW2.

Edited by FloydHunter
Tiamarth likes this

I'd not considered that with the files, I'll change that later.

--

I had noticed it was a bit hard to see on darker backgrounds as well, which made me consider making the compact state darker as well. Thanks for your feedback!

FloydHunter likes this

Thank you, indeed :D

I had considered advertising Arctic Blast as Skyrim themed - but that's not what inspired me to make it, so I decided to not.

--

Also, it would seem that I was updating the OP while you posted. New versions are available. If you like the icy look, the newest addition to the Crescent variety might be right up your alley.

Man it's almost like Arctic Blast was made for me or something. Absolutely amazing work. All bias aside, I still greatly enjoy using them and thank you for making them public

@ Raif - Thanks! But I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for Crescent, and there are otherwise no problems with the skins, so these are probably final versions. So, at least for now, the updates will stop coming.

@ Shadow - The theme /was/ your idea, I just made it. Crescent was public long before Arctic Blast, though :P

Hey Tiamarth, I just loaded the Sub-Zero skin up a minute ago and the RegularToExpanded animation had a frame just be completely white. Not sure which it is, and maybe its an issue on my end or something, but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Hey Tiamarth, I just loaded the Sub-Zero skin up a minute ago and the RegularToExpanded animation had a frame just be completely white. Not sure which it is, and maybe its an issue on my end or something, but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Apologies for my late reply. I've not been on Overwolf for the last several months because I've moved to Linux, and Overwolf does not currently support the platform. Because I can neither install Overwolf natively or through Wine, I cannot test my skin and see about that white frame. This is late in coming as announcements go :whistling: , but assume that my skins will be discontinued until I've either got a second PC for the sake of certain specific software (like Overwolf) or until the Overwolf devs support Linux in some way. Whichever happens first.

Edited by Tiamarth