rads17

Multiple Instances of the same window

7 posts in this topic

Is it possible to open multiple copies of the same 'window'

Like can I somehow specify when I do obtainDeclaredWindow that I want it to spawn a new window not the same one?

Anyone done something similiar to this before?

Edited by rads17

I don't know if it's possible. What's your use case for this?

If you need multiple panels of whatever kind it might be sufficient to create new JS / DOM Objects instead of complete Windows using some template library like mustache for example.

My use case is that I want to have multiple widget like things overlaid on the screen.

Since transparency is expensive I was thinking having separate windows would be better than 1 giant transparent window.

So I guess I'm stuck with either making 100 duplicate entries with unique names and maybe even duplicate html files or maybe I can dynamically add them to the manifest.json otherwise I'd be capped at 100 windows?

Edited by rads17

I don't have the technical insight to back this, but I'm pretty sure transparency is way less expensive then using different windows, since it is basically as if you would open a browser tab for each. I'd go with using a transparent window spanning the whole screen, expecially if you plan on creating 100 elements you want to position.

I know this is old but I played around with window.open functions.
You can open a popup window (it will have id of parent window)

var newwin = window.open('index.html', 'popUp',"height=300,width=450,location=no,scrollba rs=no,menubars=no,toolbars=no,resizable=no, menubar=no");newwin.focus();

Child window can access parent window variables and DOM
window.opener.overwolf

You cant really make the window transparent so it will have default overwolf window look but I thought it is interesting.
You probably won't be able to call anything from overwolf.window to affect that opened popup (same id as parent) but maybe someone will make something interesting with it.