Raif

Windows 8.1 and League of Legends

Hey all!

As quite a lot of you are aware, we currently don't support League of Legends in Windows 8.1. Quite a lot of you are asking can we fix it, and while we find a more permanent fix that will make everyone happy (myself included) here is a solution that can work.

Before I explain how to do it, I will write this warning. This is completely at your own risk and we don't "officially" support doing so. It's completely reversible if you find that it's causing some issues with your game.

First off, you need to download a program called Notepad++. You can get it right here http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.5.2.html

1. Once you finish downloading that you need to do the following:
  2. Right click on the League of Legends Launcher > Properties > Compatibility > Set compatibility mode to Windows 7.
  3. Go to Start and go to Search.
  4. Enter %localappdata% and look for the Local folder.
  5. Find and enter the Overwolf folder.
  6. Double click on the GameList file and open with Notepad++ (NOTE: Don't use regular notepad, this will just make things harder). This file will look like GamesList.4627104 for example.

Search for "League of Legends" and go to the first one that shows up. Notice that above the "League of Legends" there is an ID for the game written like so: 54261. This is the first instance of League of Legends as noted by the "1" at the end of the ID number. There are 6 total ID's for League of Legends ranging from 54261-54266. This is very important as all the next changes must be done to every single ID of League of Legends.

Let's start with the first instance. What you need to do is find the line that is written like so:
<UnsupportedScheme>6/3</UnsupportedScheme>

This needs to be changed to:
<!-- <UnsupportedScheme>6/3</UnsupportedScheme> -->

This step is VERY important so please make sure you do this correctly. If you look at how I changed it, I added a --> to the end. You MUST make sure that it is written like that. The reason is that if it is not written like that, you will mess up the rest of the game list, and Overwolf will just re-download a new one and all your work will be for nothing.

This is called commenting out a line. This line isn't deleted, but the program ignores this line. The reason we do this instead of deleting the line is so you can easily just delete the at the start and end and then everything will be like it should.

I am stating this again, the above step needs to be done 6 times to every single ID instance of League of Legends. You must do it for all ID's from 54261-54266 otherwise this fix will not work.

I hope this works for you guys and doesn't cause any problems. It's a hit or miss and I know a lot of people want to try it anyway. Doing this won't harm the Overwolf at all, and you can easily just revert it back to normal by deleting the things explained above.

Happy gaming!

Didn't work here! :/

Assuming I didn't fail commenting the lines, wich is somewhat unlikely, what to do?

I've set both the admin and the regular launcher in compatibility mode!

Are you sure you edited every instance? 

Also, as I mentioned, this isn't guaranteed to work. If you can upload your gamelist here I can look at it if you want to make sure you edited it correctly.

Are you sure you edited every instance? 

Also, as I mentioned, this isn't guaranteed to work. If you can upload your gamelist here I can look at it if you want to make sure you edited it correctly.

I found out the problem, wich was rather easy. The Overwolf launcher started the game via the administator launcher (lol.launcher.admin, it was found automatically by OW itself) wich doesn't seem to work. The normal client, instead, works. 

Not like a charm, but works.

I get an error on startup on a directx-related dll (wich I have with OBS too, but I can't understand why is that, as I've tried reinstalling the DirectX Runtime multiple times), the game drops by about 15 FPS (from a fixed 60 to 45) and randomly crashes at the end of a game (not preventing to see the post-game statistics though, gotta report them noobs).

Overall needs tweaking, but can work (Just like the whole application, and I'd like to provide some feedback about that too, I'm just too lazy to write it down  :pinch: )

Greetings,

Roberto :)

I need help I cant get past

step 3, I can't find the overwolf folder

Try searching for %localappdata%\Overwolf and hitting enter. Should take you right to that folder.