Linkpad

Twitch app challenge - Question

It is not that hard to write the plugin, I didnt do anything in C++ in 10 years and I implemented one.

I wish there would be a way to hide the sources and instead downloading them to your drive host them on overwolf server - that would make it impossible to reuse the plugins.

I dont think you need to send the source code for plugins but I might be wrong.

Also I dont think overwolf holds the right to your app, at least it is not the message I picked up from term page

It doesn't matter if the plugins are stored on a server or not. At one point the plugin will need to be downloaded to the client. You could set up your own file server if you wanted, but like I said the plugin needs to be downloaded at some point.

Unless you mean hosting the entire app on the server which would make overwolf useless without an internet connection and overwolf would need to invest in the infrastructure to host apps. But any plugins that interact with the client wouldn't work because they need to be run locally.

If you tell me what your plugin does there might be an alternative to using a plugin.

It doesn't matter if the plugins are stored on a server or not. At one point the plugin will need to be downloaded to the client. You could set up your own file server if you wanted, but like I said the plugin needs to be downloaded at some point.

Unless you mean hosting the entire app on the server which would make overwolf useless without an internet connection and overwolf would need to invest in the infrastructure to host apps. But any plugins that interact with the client wouldn't work because they need to be run locally.

If you tell me what your plugin does there might be an alternative to using a plugin.

I meant the whole app.

Well of course I can host the feature I want online and request it through REST but that would make plugins useless for me and I would need to invest in maintenance of some server.

I think if I implement unique thing that nobody provides it would be a shame if somone would just take it an reuse it, in the end I want people to use my app and not someones else app that just stole labor of my hard work.

I also cant imagine situation where the app is not free (are there any?), there is no mechanizm preventing people from pirate the app or plugins, I will release the app anyways (for free) but I would like to see some improvements in that departament.

I meant the whole app.

Well of course I can host the feature I want online and request it through REST but that would make plugins useless for me and I would need to invest in maintenance of some server.

I think if I implement unique thing that nobody provides it would be a shame if somone would just take it an reuse it, in the end I want people to use my app and not someones else app that just stole labor of my hard work.

I also cant imagine situation where the app is not free (are there any?), there is no mechanizm preventing people from pirate the app or plugins, I will release the app anyways (for free) but I would like to see some improvements in that departament.

You can use the free quota on google app engine. I have used that in my other app and it hasn't gone over.

You can use the free quota on google app engine. I have used that in my other app and it hasn't gone over.

Well I have much better service than that and you dont need to be restricted by Google.

Just use openshift

Hey,

Could anyone tell me if is there a way to use UI for creating apps?

nope - next best thing developer tools available in overwolf browser Ctrl+Shift+J

maybe Jasonfran heard of any IDE that would atepmt it but it would be overwhelming task css/javascript/html wise not to mention lack of the plugin and overwolf api support in such IDE

Well I have much better service than that and you dont need to be restricted by Google.

Just use openshift

They both do the same thing. And doesn't this solve your problem? So instead of worrying about the plugin you created you can just offload it to an app on one of these services.

They both do the same thing. And doesn't this solve your problem? So instead of worrying about the plugin you created you can just offload it to an app on one of these services.

I dont need my problem to be solved, what I described are the issues I see with overwolf as a app platfrom.

GAE is kindof the same but not really, I dont like GAE for the restrictive nature and the fact you end up in product that can be only deployed to GAE and it does not scale that good.

I'm going to post in this thread, as that seems to be the precedent so far.

Are teams allowed for the Twitch App Challenge? The FAQ and terms did not make it clear to me whether this was the case or not.

I'm going to post in this thread, as that seems to be the precedent so far.

Are teams allowed for the Twitch App Challenge? The FAQ and terms did not make it clear to me whether this was the case or not.

If you look on past winners in other contests then it seems you can be a part of a team

The IP of all of your creations are yours. The only claim Overwolf may have (according to the current terms), is a rev-share of 70-30 in case the app is not-free (looking into paid apps for Q1-Q2).

Teams can of course enter the contest, but you will have to learn to share in case of a win :)

Regarding code being fully visible - as it's html apps, they can be easily snooped. Heck, these days pretty much anything can be snooped/hacked/reverse-engineered. But you're more than welcome to elaborate on the matter and we'll look into any good suggestions.

Finally, NPAPIs will require the source code to be sent-in, we're just looking that no shenanigans are present.