Raif

Announcing the NVIDIA App Challenge!

top_banner.png

Greetings all developers!

It's that time again, time for another app development challenge! This time we're teaming up with NVIDIA and Republic of Gamers to bring you the biggest contest yet.

With up to $65,000 in prizes, we want you to step up to the plate and take the challenge. Create Overwolf apps that capture, edit, share, and brighten-up the best moments in gaming. Harness exclusive game APIs and the power of GeForce GTX GPU's video encoder to make ground-breaking, never before seen apps that gamers won't be able to do without.

Are you up to the challenge? Find out more and join now!

www.Overwolf.com/Nvidia-app-challenge/

I want to make certain that I have correctly assessed the particulars of this challenge, and if not I would appreciate some clarification. Here's what I understand:

Under “The Judges” area of the app challenge guide & sign-up website, it states:

In each game category you will have 1 representative from the game makers as well as a judge from Overwolf and NVidia while the Overwolf Category will be Overwolf and Nvidia.

I notice the two categories, one game/free-for-all/skins and the other Overwolf (specifically 'Any app that uses Overwolf Media API'). Seeing how it is explicitly an "Nvidia App Challenge," do either of these categories mandate use of Nvidia NVENC technology, in particular the Overwolf Media API category? Is the use of Nvidia NVENC technology at all mandatory?

Thank you :kiss:

Edited by grabbity

Well, there's no requirement to use NVENC. However, as it is a better capture method, if you don't use it, your app will be worse than someone who does.

At any rate, it's super easy to implement, so there's no reason not to use it.

This is of course for anything that uses the Media API, for the general/skins etc. it's obviously a no issue.

Is the contest truly over now? Almost everywhere said the 29th of November but I just noticed this in the contest rules.

4. Submissions shall be accepted from 12:01AM on [August 6th, 2015], until 11:59PM on [December 14th, 2015] (the “Submission Period”). 

^from http://www.overwolf.com/nvidia-app-challenge/terms.html

So the category I competed in (Smite) got cancelled? That's very anti-climatic...

I find it very hard to grasp that I should be "punished" for a lack of competitors.

btw, your terms link has an 404 error, so I'm in the dark as to what the exact reasons are.

Did SmiteShot get moved to another category, or did they not compete in the Smite category to begin with? This bothers me a bit too, as I have no information as to what actually happened to the evaluation of my app, due to the category suddenly being cancelled, and whether people having to choose category, could have influenced the too little competitors problem you're addressing.

5 apps from the competion are listed as being Smite apps. So why didn't the game related category go through? There are 3 apps made by SmiteGuru alone, and then mine. Are 4 competitors not enough??

Did GEM and Borderless Videoplayer seriously signup for the Warface and Marvel Heroes category, respectively? Cause those apps do not seem, in anyway, specifically related to those categories, but yet they have competed in them.

It's just such a let down to have your category cancelled, but seeing other smite apps in in different categories, and not having any proper explanation to what happened prior to and after you cancelled the category?

I can take losing, but the category being cancelled (the competition I was in, being cancelled), is a real slap to the face.. I didn't even lose, I just.. nothing.

Edited by Drakkashi

Not to complain or anything (I won in other category) but - wait wait wait, so you renamed "ROG Skin or themed app" to "ROG" and app that has nothing to do with ROG won?

I thought the app was suppose to be judged based on the ui and/or overwolf skin in that category (I would assume so since it was suppose to be themed app or overwolf skin)?

Edit. Don't get me wrong the app that won is good and the ui is very good, the thing is you really shouldn't make last minute changes in categories, without notifying anyone (I myself did a lot of work to ROG theme and animate the app so for me it was wasted time, not because I lost in that category but because I didn't need to themed it as ROG to compete in that category). 

Edited by BobDev

Not to complain or anything (I won in other category) but - wait wait wait, so you renamed "ROG Skin or themed app" to "ROG" and app that has nothing to do with ROG won?
I thought the app was suppose to be judged based on the ui and/or overwolf skin in that category (I would assume so since it was suppose to be themed app or overwolf skin)?

Hey BobDev,

it was announced somewhen during the challenge, that any App can participate within any category by branding the app with the Logo and link to the respective Website. That's why my app participates for the ROG-Category.

With a Smite-logo it theoretically could've run for the Smite-categorie.

I saw the video you made for VoiceTron, and if you didn't change the look that's a pretty strange participant for the Marvel-categorie too :D

@whole cancelled Categories topic:

Id be interested in why they got cancelled too. On first glance there were a few Apps that would've fit in there through concept. What disqualified those apps?

Guess I answered it myself through quoting the terms

@ Drakkashi

Not sure if you find the reason there, but this is the link

And the relevant term would be 

13. Overwolf reserves the right to remove a category from the contest and cancel it's prizes in case it wont meet the minimum amount of submission for the Category which is 6 apps. The apps submitted for this category will be refered to different categories. 

So I guess all those apps got moved into other categories.

Sorry for you :(

Edited by Colorfulstan

Hey BobDev,

it was announced somewhen during the challenge, that any App can participate within any category by branding the app with the Logo and link to the respective Website. That's why my app participates for the ROG-Category.

With a Smite-logo it theoretically could've run for the Smite-categorie.

I saw the video you made for VoiceTron, and if you didn't change the look that's a pretty strange participant for the Marvel-categorie too :D

@whole cancelled Categories topic:

Id be interested in why they got cancelled too. On first glance there were a few Apps that would've fit in there through concept. What disqualified those apps?

Guess I answered it myself through quoting the terms

@ Drakkashi

Not sure if you find the reason there, but this is the link

And the relevant term would be 

So I guess all those apps got moved into other categories.

Sorry for you :(

Of course, of course, MH was announced in the middle of challenge (or so) and I knew there will be less competition :P

I understand that apps with logo can win, I did it too, that was not my point - I thought tho that this rule applied only for game related categories because I assume there was not so many apps there

The app that won is better than mine but my point was, that there shouldn't be last minute changes, and renaming the category - I have spent 2 weeks on theming the app and animating it but I just could have stick with non themed app and I would still be able to participate

Edited by BobDev

Of course, of course, MH was announced in the middle of challenge (or so) and I knew there will be less competition :P

The app that won is better than mine but my point was, that there shouldn't be last minute changes, and renaming the category - I have spent 2 weeks on theming the app and animating it but I just could have stick with non themed app and I would still be able to participate

I get your point, and as seen with Drakkashis case it's confusing and frustrating that there's a certain lack of transparency going on.

The whole Challenge was a bit chaotic at times which can throw people far off, as your and Drakkashis example clearly shows.

Nevertheless:

Congratulation to all Winners!

I get your point, and as seen with Drakkashis case it's confusing and frustrating that there's a certain lack of transparency going on.

The whole Challenge was a bit chaotic at times which can throw people far off, as your and Drakkashis example clearly shows.

Nevertheless:

Congratulation to all Winners!

If you took part in other competitions you should know it is like that :)

That does not mean it cant improve

I had a blast working on VoiceTron and VMote

thank you and congrats to others

Congrats everyone!

Results are a little weird. Two other unrelated apps (looks to be unbranded too?) won over an app built with the Media API for the Marvel category? Granted they are better, but I guess categories didn't matter at all?

I'm going to assume they picked best apps period, instead of best app in each category. Which is great. The best apps deserve the place they are in.

Edited by TopHatCalavera

Category matters but they allowed in the middle of competition to add any apps anywhere but you needed to add at least category logo to the app - I was thinking that this was done because of the low app submission for games category, but lake we discussed here it was also, probably done for ROG categories

So anyone could submit anywhere - lets face it, we had only 31, or so apps submitted and that is probably why smite was canceled (only 1 app there, if I understand correctly - I would say most of the apps went to ROG free for all)