tgienger

App Window Animations

I couldn't find an API or other libraries so I'm working on a library that allows some animations to be done to the app windows.

For the most part animations can be done in the window, but I've found situations where the window being animated made for a much better user experience.

Really just seeing if there is anything else out there already or if there is any interest.

Ome    0

From what I understand, you want to animate the Overwolf window itself rather than its content. If this is the case, than why not just animate the content? You can make the window transparent and allow your content to "be" the window, which should allow you to do all the fancy animations.

One reason is because the distance an animation can exist is limited to the size of the window containing the element, otherwise you'll see scroll bars.

Another reason, and the real reason for me animating my windows, happens when I move the window while an animation is happening. 

Imagine an animation that goes from 0 to 100 on mouseover, then on mouseleave you go back to 0. If you move the window while the animation is at 100, when you stop and mouseleave the element will go back to 0. The element is now 100 px back to the left from where you dropped it. If you instead animated the window, you can cancel the animation after you dropped it and the element will still be in the same place you dropped it and in the same place within the window.

I realized that Greensock has the onUpdate method, so I just use that now to animate the .changePosition() left value. Works very well, so no need to write anything for it.