kawicoder

DotaPlus and Dota 2 ? Dev in Overwolf?

I haven't used that app, but since Dota 2 is not on the list of supported games which support game events, my guess would be some form of image recognition.

It could be OCR to recognize texts, or some form of image classification to determine what hero has been picked. At least I've been playing with these ideas around, but it could be something entirely different solution. 

I haven't used that app, but since Dota 2 is not on the list of supported games which support game events, my guess would be some form of image recognition.

It could be OCR to recognize texts, or some form of image classification to determine what hero has been picked. At least I've been playing with these ideas around, but it could be something entirely different solution. 

A very complex theory, I like it! :laugh:

But nah, just using the web api from Valve I think! link to it is here: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/WebAPI#Dota_2

I don't think it's the Steam Web API, because DotaPlus can get the hero within 1 second from when it is picked. The Steam API would take long to make a request and receive a response...At least 6 seconds

And the fact that DotaPlus has a "supported resolutions" list, makes me think that it is OCR.

I found the DotaPlus code that runs, with the accompanying .js files. I decompiled the DotaPlus.dll and found image recognition methods in there. So I think we rest our case, that it's definitely image recognition! 

But they do have Steam Web API methods in here, too. Those methods seem to just get the player information, like previous match history. Not the current match's picked hero's as they're being picked

The rest of it, displaying is all javascript

Hope this helps other confused developers, like I was! 

Hey there guys!
Just wanted to chime in on your discussion and let you know we will make all capabilities public so more developers can develop apps if any of you are interested in that :)

If any of you might have good ideas for apps or features you want to discuss we could add it for future planning. You may feel free contacting me personally and I will make sure the info/suggestions pass on forward to the right channels.

Stay awesome!