RoDeX

Let's discuss: League of Legends app developers challenge!

Recommended Posts

Hey wolves,

We launched our new developers app challenge, focusing on League of Legends.

I think it's time to discuss app ideas, and connect between developers and designers. Need help with the development? lack of design inspiration? Need feedback for you app? You are covered here!

I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best,
Asaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More League of Legends app ideas you can explore:

But hey! you want to create a champions counter app but there is already one in the Overwolf appstore? No problem! There are no similar apps. You can use your own design creativity or develop other cool feature that other counter apps doesn't have.

Data Base search, Looking for group, timers and many more apps can be explored.

Asaf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dreamer77 said:

i want to enter the Dev challenge, but i dont know if  this is just for US developers. do you have some info about that?

Anyone from around the world can sign up to the challenge. The only difference is that the Logitech G gear can be sent only to North America and Europe. The Cash prize can be sent anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is that this contest have the same prizes as the LED one, plus money? my app already uses the new LoL events plus the LED API, I don't think thats fair, I don't have any incentive to participate in the LED one as it is.
And what's with the prizes, 2500/1500/1000 usd... who need that to develop a javascript app seriously... why not better 500/400/200 on both contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.9.2016 at 10:49 PM, goodbyte said:

Why is that this contest have the same prizes as the LED one, plus money? my app already uses the new LoL events plus the LED API, I don't think thats fair, I don't have any incentive to participate in the LED one as it is.
And what's with the prizes, 2500/1500/1000 usd... who need that to develop a javascript app seriously... why not better 500/400/200 on both contest.

A "Javascript App" as you called it, is sometimes more than just one js-file. The most contest winners put a lot of work into their app.
And also, it's a contest. The prizes are meant to be useless high. Would you do all the effort for 500? Or for 2500?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.9.2016 at 10:49 PM, goodbyte said:

Why is that this contest have the same prizes as the LED one, plus money? my app already uses the new LoL events plus the LED API, I don't think thats fair, I don't have any incentive to participate in the LED one as it is.
And what's with the prizes, 2500/1500/1000 usd... who need that to develop a javascript app seriously... why not better 500/400/200 on both contest.

15 minutes ago, TheLexoPlexx said:

A "Javascript App" as you called it, is sometimes more than just one js-file. The most contest winners put a lot of work into their app.
And also, it's a contest. The prizes are meant to be useless high. Would you do all the effort for 500? Or for 2500?

imo 2500 isn't even that high of a prize proposition for a decent application. In the end it depends on the complexity and size of the app.

For an app that changes some lights triggered by events or something of that scoope (simple JS apps) it's a good incentive and compensation for the work. But for more complex projects with user interaction, UI-design and some amount of logic it's more like a treat to get motivated to use such a challenge to learn some new things along the way.

I created Champ 101 for the NVidia Challenge about a year ago mainly to learn about the CanJs Framework, build-processes, git-workflow etc. You can get an idea of how much work went into that by having a look at the Github repository. I saw it mainly as investment in my development skillset, but to be fair: that challenge also had a much better expected value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheLexoPlexx said:

A "Javascript App" as you called it, is sometimes more than just one js-file. The most contest winners put a lot of work into their app.
And also, it's a contest. The prizes are meant to be useless high. Would you do all the effort for 500? Or for 2500?

You fail to realize I am one of those winners. In javascript the hard work is already done thanks to the frameworks, jquery, angular, etc...
I develop in my freetime, and because I like it, to me it's a breeze... but above all, I was just trying to convince them to monetize the led contest as well.

1 hour ago, Colorfulstan said:

imo 2500 isn't even that high of a prize proposition for a decent application. In the end it depends on the complexity and size of the app.

For an app that changes some lights triggered by events or something of that scoope (simple JS apps) it's a good incentive and compensation for the work. But for more complex projects with user interaction, UI-design and some amount of logic it's more like a treat to get motivated to use such a challenge to learn some new things along the way.

I created Champ 101 for the NVidia Challenge about a year ago mainly to learn about the CanJs Framework, build-processes, git-workflow etc. You can get an idea of how much work went into that by having a look at the Github repository. I saw it mainly as investment in my development skillset, but to be fair: that challenge also had a much better expected value

Of course that you don't think that's a lot of money, both of you are from germany... it's a different world out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goodbyte said:

Of course that you don't think that's a lot of money, both of you are from germany... it's a different world out there.

That's true indeed, thanks for pointing that out. I don't want to offend anyone with my statement.

I forget about the big differences in value perception of money in different countries regularly living in my localized bubble. But 2500 $ / ~2000 € is still a good amount of money in germany, just not in relation to the work required for a more complex application and the cost of highly trained developers over here. Pretty sick topic in general when thinking about outsourcing work to lower income countries and stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2016 at 11:49 PM, goodbyte said:

Why is that this contest have the same prizes as the LED one, plus money? my app already uses the new LoL events plus the LED API, I don't think thats fair, I don't have any incentive to participate in the LED one as it is.
And what's with the prizes, 2500/1500/1000 usd... who need that to develop a javascript app seriously... why not better 500/400/200 on both contest.

I sent you an email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a few questions:

  1. I've been working on a website to interact with the Riot API for about a year. It's rough around the edges, but it works. Am I allowed to use the database for my Website to help power my Overwolf App, or do I need to start from scratch and get a new API Key from Riot, start up a new server, etc. to accommodate the Overwolf app?
  2. Is there a way to test the Logitech LED API to see if it works for those of us without LED keyboards? Some sort of on-screen emulator?
  3. On the App Creation Process page it describes rewards/incentives for proposals and completion/publishing apps. Are those rewards/incentives available for projects made for this API Challenge, or do you pick one or the other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2016 at 4:50 PM, DrCyanide said:

I've got a few questions:

  1. I've been working on a website to interact with the Riot API for about a year. It's rough around the edges, but it works. Am I allowed to use the database for my Website to help power my Overwolf App, or do I need to start from scratch and get a new API Key from Riot, start up a new server, etc. to accommodate the Overwolf app?
  2. Is there a way to test the Logitech LED API to see if it works for those of us without LED keyboards? Some sort of on-screen emulator?
  3. On the App Creation Process page it describes rewards/incentives for proposals and completion/publishing apps. Are those rewards/incentives available for projects made for this API Challenge, or do you pick one or the other?

Hey there! welcome :)

  1. You are allowed to use your website database to power up your app.
  2. This Logitech Emulator that will help you develop the app without an LED keyboard. You can download it from here. You will find the "Developer" Tab in the Settings with access to the Arx Console, LCD Emulator, and LED Emulator.
  3. If you submit your app to the LoL developers challenge you can't enter the reward program as well. And to be eligible to the reward program, we need to approve your full proposal first. Not all the apps automatically verified for the reward. 

I hope those answers help you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to number 3: If you do not get the reward for the approval of your idea and final submission then isn't entering the contest a "bad" financial decision as only the first 2 places make of better than just going through the regular process? In fact anybody who doesn't get a placement will have done all their work for naught? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2016 at 7:45 PM, dsorrentino said:

In regards to number 3: If you do not get the reward for the approval of your idea and final submission then isn't entering the contest a "bad" financial decision as only the first 2 places make of better than just going through the regular process? In fact anybody who doesn't get a placement will have done all their work for naught? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

As I wrote in the original answer, not all the apps are eligible for the reward program. And also, we mentioned in the challenge website how developing an app is not a waste of time, as you can monetize your app. But it's definitely up to you what you do with your app and how you develop and improve it. From the challenge website:

MONETIZING YOUR APP TO HELP SUPPORT ITS FUTURE (AND YOURS!)
Some Overwolf apps already make thousands of dollars a month from advertising. Apart from creating something wonderful that will enhance the experience of millions of players, you could also make a living for yourself. Take a look at LoLwiz as an example - it became the full time job of its developers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, christianinaus said:

Maybe a stupid question, but can anyone provide an example of what would be expected for submission in the first phase? is it like a MVP. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

You need a concept for your app and some mockups that communicate what your app should do and possibly how this will look like.

You don't need a working MVP already afaik.

Edited by Colorfulstan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@christianinaus
I actually don't have anything to add to what @Colorfulstan wrote, but I'll be glad to share what I sent to OW for my app.
although it is not a LOL app, I think it covers the overview of what needs to be sent.
just private message me and I'll share with you the presentation and mockups.

Edited by noobay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now