CapoFantasma97

Request: A decent Notepad

I know there already is an app that does this, but it's horrible. It's clunky, it's slow, and it has ADS! Ads in a notepad, and even quite large and annoying, a sick joke.

So what I ask is a working, lightweight notepad that does what it's expected and nothing really more.

I am no programmer and I am not a professional designer, but in case you need images, vector art or icons, I can do it. I can even work on some mockups.

And if it's not too much asking, the following features would be awesome to have:

-select a custom font and size

-no border, just the 2 buttons for dismiss/close and maybe a support to be dragged from anywhere like TS3's app would be perfect (or just a button-like thing like in the Borderless Videoplayer)

-adjustable opacity

-ability to use bold, underline and italic

A simple and effective notepad could be very useful for many players, as the ability to store memos and take notes is a great help in many games. And for video makers and streamers, it could also be a tool to list, remember and show objectives to complete (which is not uncommon, especially for open world games).

Just took a look at that notepad app, and it's really outdated. Seems like it's completely loaded from the web into the overwolf-browser.

It's definetly a good idea and something missing in good quality on the store. With enough ambition on a developer's side it could evolve to some kind of organizer app, also integrating this app request in a smart way 

Im pretty busy atm, so if I happen to take on this project it will take quite a while until it get's started, but the concept is definetly something I would be interested in realising.

Regarding the ads / monetization aspect:
What's your opinion on playing an ad when first starting the app before allowing usage of it to make sure it can generate some return?

Regarding technology:
In case someone wants to take this on, a good starting point would be to look for a markdown library / editor as a foundation, as it would allow for a good variaty of formatting through "easy" syntax out of the box and should be relatively lightweight. Custom font and size would be the only challenges in that regard imo. There should also be some "visual editor" libraries out there that offer the biggest part of the implementation already.
I might be open to collaborative work for this if there is any interest.

4 hours ago, Colorfulstan said:

Regarding the ads / monetization aspect:
What's your opinion on playing an ad when first starting the app before allowing usage of it to make sure it can generate some return?

If it looks like a complete and solid app, why not? You could also place the ad at the bottom of the Settings window, it will be hidden during normal usage, but it will generate some return. Also there is a quite famous app doing that with video ads, but I can't remember how it's called. Additionally, a short disclaimer was put to raise awareness of the user.

The annoyance was due to how the current existing app eats and entire chunk of the page and the poor quality put into it.

Thinking about taking on that task, and if anyone else wants to join, let me know! 
can you link the notepad app you mentioned so I can see what the current standard is? 

Edited by noobay

Thanks @goodbyte, both of your apps work quite good. Hope you will ship them on the Store someday, maybe as an unified app with hotkeys (even if I don't really know what happened with your Post-It and the Overwolf team :blush:). That's the kind of utility apps that the store misses and many gamers would find useful.

20 hours ago, noobay said:

Thinking about taking on that task, and if anyone else wants to join, let me know! 
can you link the notepad app you mentioned so I can see what the current standard is? 

Here http://download.overwolf.com/install/Download?Channel=website&Name=Notepad&ExtensionId=nhgemogbdkljmfkhmghfikljihjkdeogjiadmhmb

3 hours ago, CapoFantasma97 said:

Thanks @goodbyte, both of your apps work quite good. Hope you will ship them on the Store someday, maybe as an unified app with hotkeys (even if I don't really know what happened with your Post-It and the Overwolf team :blush:). That's the kind of utility apps that the store misses and many gamers would find useful.

What hotkeys would you like to be added? and for doing what exactly?
I'll upload them to the store once I finish with your request, don't worry.

32 minutes ago, goodbyte said:

What hotkeys would you like to be added? and for doing what exactly?
I'll upload them to the store once I finish with your request, don't worry.

For both of them, the ability to open the app with an hotkey.

Another less important but possibly comfortable hotkey could be to create a new note.

PS: is is possible for Oeditor to save notes? Creating a new one for now it means it would be wiped entirely. If that wouldn't be hard, I would suggest to implement a third dropdown menu together with the already available "File" and "Edit", where you could list all the created notes (in order to switch to them), and maybe additionally, a button to delete them individually. Or maybe you already thought of a way to manage multiple notes.

I didn't notice your post before @noobay because we posted at almost the same time lmao.

Anyway, yes, I agree with him @goodbyte. He modified your app so that the browser border is gone and the elements in the toolbar are moved to a new line instead of being cut out when the window is resized. However, with that he removed the opacity slider too. Is it possible to mantain that slider while removing the browser border?