BigHugger

Can't close Overwolf app

Hi there!

On my previous laptop, I was able to shut off Overwolf completely by right-lciking its icon in the system tray and then selecting the option to close.

However, I have recently bought a new laptop, running Windows 10. After installing Overwolf I now notice that when I right-click the Overwolf icon in the system tray, the context menu does not appear. This is not a generic system tray issue: I do get the context menu for other icons in the icon tray. It also does not disable all Overwolf functionality, it appears to work pretty well otherwise. But I would like to close it without having to use the brute-force ethod of killing its process through the windows task manager!

In case it matters, the Overwolf app version is 0.107.36.0

Hey @BigHugger !

This sounds like a bug, either with your Overwolf process running in the background or with a new version of Windows 10 (Are you maybe in the Windows 10 insiders program? is it a new version of Windows 10 that wasn't released to the public yet?)

Please try to ctrl+shift+del and close the Overwolf process manually (There should be about 3 processes).

Hi @ChriSKate! Thanks for the quick response.

I am not in the Windows Insider program, nor running a pre-release version (unless the laptop vendor did something very unexpected...). My Windows version reports itself as Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703, Build 15063.608. And I am using the Dutch localization.

I had so far never heard of the Ctrl-Shift-Del key combination and it does not appear to do anything (unless in a browser; then it apparently clears history). Perhaps you were confused and intended to write Ctrl-Alt-Del? Using that and then opening the task manager does allow me to kill the overwolf processes.

In my case there were 8 processes in total, one for Overwolf itself; 2 for Overlay; and 5 for OverwolfBrowser. This was after opening Overwolf, starting the HearthArena companion through the dock, completing one full arena draft, and then closing first the overwolf browser window and then the window of the HA companion.

image.png.a738358afd2c62e22ae70d1a36f8728d.png

After first closing the "Overwolf (32-bits)" process, the 5 OverwolfBrowser processes were automatically closed as well. The 2 Overlay processes closed themselves with some delay (at first they were still there but after typing the first sentence of this paragraph and returning to the Taks Manager to close the remaining two, they were gone).

Should I uninstall and then reinstall?

I indeed confused the 'del' part, what I meant was ctrl+shift+esc which opens the task manager directly (without going through the menu stage).

Actually, before you uninstall the reinstall, can you try running Overwolf normally again? This might have been a simple icon bug, but I would like to make sure.

Run Overwolf normally now and see whether the tray icon is still unresponsive, please :)

I was not aware of the Ctrl-Shift-Esc shortcut. Very convenient, thanks!

From your request to run Overwolf "normally", I take it that there are at least two ways to run it and I have so far used a "not-normal" one. How, exactly, does one run Overwolf "normally"?

What would you consider to be not normal? If you have an Overwolf app that starts Overwolf this would be normal as well :)

If you wish to start Overwolf without any of its apps (and you don't have a shortcut for it) simply head to the path where it's installed (default should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwolf) and create a shortcut out of the Overwolf.exe file there, this is the file you run to launch Overwolf on its own.

Please let me know if once you do that, the Overwolf tray icon remains unresponsive.

I normally always start Overwolf through a shortcut in my Games\Hearthstone folder. The shortcut points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwolf\OverwolfLauncher.exe"

I have now added a shortcut to the Overwolf.exe file directly, and tried that. I still have the same problem.

However, I then decided to do some further digging. Based on a few experiments I ran, it appears that the Overwolf tray icon is always unresponsive when Hearthstone is running on my laptop (full-screen mode or windowed mode makes no difference). As soon as I close Hearthstone, the tray icon will once more respond normally to right-clicking. This behavior is the same whether I started Overwolf through my old shortcut (to the launcher) or the new one (directly to Overwolf.exe). It also makes no difference whether or not I start and end the ArenaCompanion or not - just having Overwolf and Hearthstone open at the same makes the tray icon go silent.

Oh, and it is only the actual Hearthstone GAME that messes with the overwolf tray icon; the Launcher (aka Blizzard App) does not appear to cause any issues.

Perhaps this brings you a bit closer to understanding the issue?

We tried to reproduce this issue now in our team and it happens to us as well...

So the good news is that it's not something wrong over at your side, but the bad news is that it's a bug.

I have forwarded it to our dev team, I'm afraid I can't say when it will be fixed, might take a while... But we're on it :)

I got you a temporary solution for this issue :)

I made a game list file that you should replace with the one you have-

1. Press the windows key + R
  2. Type in: %localappdata%/Overwolf and hit enter
  3. Locate the GamesList.xml file and replace it with the one you got from us. Usually you'll need to extract it first so make sure you have winzip/winrar/7zip/other compressing tool installed on your PC.
  4. Restart Overwolf and start the game

It's temporary because once a new version of Overwolf is released, it will run over this file I gave you. You can always save it and follow the steps again though.

GamesList.8963059.xml.7z

Wow, that is a very quick fix! I tested it and it works. Thanks for the quick and effective action!!!

I have saved a copy of the archive for future use, should I need it.

PS: Out of curiosity: I openend the file to look at the differences and I noticed that the games list has TWO entries for Hearthstone, and I was wondering why. Is that because Blizzard has built different two different launcher versions and Overwolf needs to understand both in order to recognize the game?

Hmmm, it appears I spoke too soon.

Yes, the new version of the games list does fix the issue. However, it has a rather nasty side effect: ow the HearthArena drafting tool (the sole reason why I use Overwolf) now no longer shows up on my HearthStone screen. I found that it does appear, but it's now sitting in the background, coverred by the HearthStone game screen. (So one might say that the overlay has morphed into an "underlay").

Guess I'll dig up the old version of the GamesList.xml from my recycle bin and live with having to close Overwolf through the process explorer, until there is a permanent fix.

I still appreciate all the effort you have put into this, though! :)

You're right about the side effects of this fix, this is because HearthStone doesn't actually have a 'full screen mode'.

HearthStone only has window mode, the full screen mode of this game is not really functioning as one. This is why in order to stay on top of the game, we had to use a rule for the overlay itself to always have the focus (which made the tray icon not responsive). I guess the side effect is worse than the first issue indeed like you said. Since this is more of an issue with the way Hearthstone's running, I'm afraid that a more solid and permanent solution might take longer to arrive :(

Thank you for all the info and cooperation!

Thanks for your reply!

Given your explanation, I am not really sure why I did not have the same issues on my previous computer. But that's not really relevant.

The workaround of closing Overwolf through the Task Manager works for now, and I hope that you will find a creative way to work around the ooddities of Hearthstone and get this working as intended.

Thanks for all your hard work!